Anchor + Eclipse Modeling Framework

Denis
Hi

I've implemented Ecore-metamodel and Sirius-based editor for Anchor: https://github.com/AresEkb/anchor

And also I wrote two articles about my implementation:
http://habrahabr.ru/company/cit/blog/266433/
http://habrahabr.ru/company/cit/blog/267335/

The articles are written in Russian, but maybe it will be interesting for someone :)

Also I plan to implement QVTo-transformations from Anchor to ER-model and SQL...

Re: Anchor + Eclipse Modeling Framework

Thanks for making us aware of this! Can you provide some simple steps of how to get the editor running? We are not familiar with Sirius...

Also, your github link is broken and should probably be:
https://github.com/AresEkb/anchor

Re: Anchor + Eclipse Modeling Framework

Denis
It seems that forum engine brokes URLs with HTTPS scheme. I think this one must work:
http://github.com/AresEkb/anchor

I wrote a short tutorial http://github.com/AresEkb/anchor/wiki/Installation-guide

Also I've updated the project a little bit.

The editor is not as good as yours. But it's based on Model-Driven Architecture standards (Ecore, Meta-Object Facility, XMI). And it will allow me to wrote some QVTo-transformations ( http://www.omg.org/spec/QVT/ ) from Ecore-based Anchor models into SQL in future.

Re: Anchor + Eclipse Modeling Framework

Thanks! I used Eclipse many years ago when I did Java development, but I am not familiar with the frameworks you are using. So I need to ask, will this (eventually) enable object persistence in the form of an Anchor model, possibly replacing solutions like Hibernate?

Re: Anchor + Eclipse Modeling Framework

Denis
Models and diagrams are persisted in XMI format:
http://github.com/AresEkb/anchor/blob/master/anchor.tests/model/Performance.anchor
http://github.com/AresEkb/anchor/blob/master/anchor.tests/model/Performance.aird

It's easy enough to describe another serialization formats (textual or XML-based) for models and diagrams. Also here is a model repository for EMF-based models http://projects.eclipse.org/projects/modeling.emf.cdo
There are some projects for model comparision, merging, transformation, ... All of these tools are intended for use with models (not data based on models).

So one can persist, compare, merge, transform EMF-based Anchor models. But EMF doesn't allow (from scratch) to persist data based on these models.

If I'll need to store data, then I'll make something like this:
1) Create a concrete Anchor model by means of my editor.
2) Transform the model into Ecore-model (Anchors and Ties to EClass, Knots to EEnum, Attributes to either EAttribute or EClass). It will allow me to use EMF Tools to persist data based on the specific Anchor model.

But I don't think that EMF is good enough to store large amount of data. Mostly EMF is intended for models.

Alternatively I can transform the Anchor model into ER-model or into SQL-script (which creates tables in some DBMS). I think they are better for data storage.

In other words EMF isn't intended for data persistence. But it allows to generate (from model) Java-classes, Hibernate configuration files, SQL scripts or something else for a storage tool.

Re: Anchor + Eclipse Modeling Framework

Denis
Here are some examples of "model to model" or "model to text" transformations...

UML to ER-model
http://what-when-how.com/Tutorial/topic-225aimup/Eclipse-Modeling-Project-A-Domain-Specific-Language-Toolkit-621.html

UML to Java
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Acceleo/Getting_Started

I don't think that it's a good tutorials, I plan to write some by myself.

By means of these tools one can transform Anchor model into Java classes, SQL scripts, ...

Re: Anchor + Eclipse Modeling Framework

delostilos
Hi,

Maybe https://wiki.eclipse.org/Teneo can help to persist the metadata anchor model in a database. I like the class model you made with the database independent data type class in it.