Function of Metadata

Garrett Young
Hello.

Please elaborate on the function of the Metadata columns found in the tables and the views, triggers, etc... Are the metadata attributes there to provide any specific temporal functionality?

Re: Function of Metadata

Not really, the intention of Metadata is to provide the ability to store (in a separate metadata model) things like who created the row, if it was part of a batch, and perhaps when that batch was loaded. It's up to you to decide what information you want/need in your metadata model. We pose no limitations on how much or little metadata information you can record.

Since the metadata column is not a part of the primary key, no additional temporal functionality is gained by having it. It can be seen as a reference to somwhere where you can learn more about the referring row.

Re: Function of Metadata

Garrett Young
Thank you. I just wanted to clarify because I had interpreted the tutorial #13 "INSERTING DATA FOR AN OLTP ENVIRONMENT" to mean that changes to the metadata indicates that the change occurred at a different time instead of by a different user/system...