Spreadsheet-type model development?

Stephanie Locke
I'd like to build an anchor model for an OLTP database but I'm finding the modelling UI quite frustratingly slow.  What I'd like is to have a more text-based data-entry style system for rapidly going through a schema and assigning the corresponding values.

Is there something like this already? If there isn't and I built something like it in Excel, would people be interested in receiving a copy?

Cheers,
Steph

Re: Spreadsheet-type model development?

Hi Steph,

Sorry for the late reply. We had one person who was going to develop tabular editing in the tool itself, and I have been trying to reach him over the last couple of weeks to no avail. I am guessing that you could go ahead and build something in Excel and that it would be appreciated by the community.

If you can wait (or perhaps you've already started) one more day I will see if there are any other Excel efforts being made.

Re: Spreadsheet-type model development?

Here is a very simple XML Schema, but unfortunately Excel doesn't like it as it has "list of lists" in it. There can be many anchors that each have many attributes, for examle.

Anchor.xsd

It would, otherwise, have been an easy way to get XML according to the schema used by the tool. Note though that this schema just contains the bare minimum for a model. If you need a complete schema I can try to put one together for you?

Re: Spreadsheet-type model development?

Steph Locke
We've been working on this and have developed a table driven system complete with ETL generation. It's in Live in my org but will be undergoing further development. A data entry GUI is part of the roadmap.

https://github.com/stephlocke/MeDriAnchor

Re: Spreadsheet-type model development?

This looks really impressive. Would you mind doing a Skype session with screen sharing to demo the work? I am not entirely sure how to get it up and running.

RE: Spreadsheet-type model development?

Steph Locke

Sure thing. I should be getting together with the co-developer late next week and should be able to do something then if you’re available?

Cheers,

Steph