what are the recommendations to manage modifications with anchor modelling

what are the recommendations to manage modifications with anchor modelling

Vincent
We are planning to use anchor modelling for our Operational datastore, and I am just wondering how we can manage modification of data if you do not keep  history on the changes. If I look at on the generated code, only insert and delete triggers are generated on the view.  Do we have to manage by ourself table by table update? it looks like it misses a small part on the generated code; I am really surprise to not find any discussion on the forum about this topic? Doing a delete and then an insert is not a good approach for me as you  remove all the information for an anchor even though if it is just one field that was updated?
Thanks for your help.
Vincent

Re: what are the recommendations to manage modifications with anchor modelling

This is in fact a missing feature in the current version. However, the feature is present in the test version, which can be considered pretty stable as well:

http://www.anchormodeling.com/modeler/test

Re: what are the recommendations to manage modifications with anchor modelling

Vincent
Many thanks for your feedback and the link to the beta version.

There is still something I do not understand or miss. is the strategy with anchor modeling to not do any update? so does it mean we have to keep history on all attributes and relationships ? because when I look at the generated code for update trigger (on the beta version), it is still doing insert and in my case it is crashing as there is a key violation when we try to update.

Let's take a stupid example, I have an anchor named person with many attributes. A person gets married and the last name should be changed. how do we manage this change if we do not want to track the history for this kind of change. Do we have to delete the record of the anchor (in many tables not only last name table) for this person and insert again afterward?  should we take the same same approach for the ties?

I found a guideline (Anchor-Modeling-Ordina) on which they recommend to use historized attribute ONLY if versioning has a value and it looks like nothing is done to manage update.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Best regards,
Vincent

Re: what are the recommendations to manage modifications with anchor modelling

jangorecki
Vincent wrote
A person gets married and the last name should be changed ... if we do not want to track the history for this kind of change
Maybe not very helpful...
You simply DO want to track history of that field. Still it shouldn't be a problem as you keep only changes in history.
Regards
Jan